This unoffical region (technically still the Highland region) spans the Island distilleries in Scotland (other than Islay, Islay is a region in its own right).
These are as follows;
- Isle of Arran - Arran Distillery
- Isle of Mull - Tobermory Distillery
- Isle of Skye - Talisker Distillery
- Isle of Jura - Jura Distillery
- Isle of Lewis - Abhainn Dearg Distillery
- Orkney Isles - Highland Park Distillery and Scapa Distillery
As might be expected when these are viewed on a map, the classification is not so much based on characteristics as convenience - this is a suitable sub group in which to deal with the remaining whiskies which do not fit in to any other.
Once again, generalisations are difficult to make due to the diverse nature of the whisky that each of the distilleries produce.